Wednesday, August 1, 2012

She was afraid...


It was a dark and lonely time in my life when she came to me…a tiny girl on a ridge, lying on her belly, watching danger unfold in the valley below. Listening.

Grasped tightly in her fingers were autumn grasses.

Her anticipation was so intense it hurt my lungs. She was barely breathing. Afraid to move.

Summer Sizzles with Imajin Books
I saw her there whenever I closed my eyes. She was waiting…

Each night, night after night, as I lay down to sleep, she came to me. Afraid. Excited. Alone. Always on her belly on an autumn ridge. One night I felt the  thump, thump, thump of an approaching helicopter shaking the ground beneath her belly. Once I heard the scream of sirens.

There came a night when I could stand it no longer; I needed to know who that young girl was. Why was she on that ridge? What was happening in the valley below? I flicked on the lights and made my way to my laptop.

There was no one but me in that tiny cabin in the forest that night--and it would only be me the next day…and the day after. There was no one I had to meet in the morning, nothing I had to do, no place I had to be.  There was no one to care if I stayed up all night, ate breakfast in my pyjamas, slept all day.

I snuggled down on the sofa, pulled an afghan around me, and began to write the young girl’s story.

Her name was Katrina. In the valley below was The Traz biker gang compound. Speeding in from the horizon was the police tactical team. And off in the distance was a rescue chopper… 

Katrina’s life unfolded, novel after novel after novel... 

And thus there came to be The BackTracker series.


THE TRAZ (Book I) also comes in a School Edition because that young girl had much to teach.


FATAL ERROR (Book II) soon to be released by Imajin Books.






 












Eileen Schuh,
Canadian Author http://www.eileenschuh.com

Also the author of SCHRÖDINGER'S CAT

3 comments:

Alison E. Bruce said...

Wow! My characters often come to me in dreams, but none so haunting as Katrina.

Very cool!

Eileen Schuh: said...

Thanks for visiting, Alison. There's more to the story but I've learned to only speak of it out of earshot of my kids...and others with the authority to declare me legally insane.

safety consultancy service said...

Wonderful website. Lots of useful information here. I’m sending it to a few friends ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thanks for your sweat!. I added it to my favorites blog list and will be checking back soon.