Monday, March 23, 2020

COVID19 Second Step to Mental Health

Using our words

Yesterday I blogged about the importance of assigning words to one's emotions, one's fears, how to take step one in our journey through this crisis. It's only when we are able to put words to what we're feeling that we can communicate.

Being able to share our feelings enables us to understand we are not alone, that we are normal, that we are part of what is going on around us. It allows us to connect with others, receive their support and encouragement, and offer them ours.

It also allows us to research the issues frightening us, and tentatively start planning creative solutions to deal with our anxiety and eventually move past it.

As I searched for my own words, I realized much of my anxiety was arising from the stories I heard from parents as a child. Stories about the 1918 pandemic, the 1929 stock market crash and the Dirty 30s. Once I put words to the source of my anxiety, I was able to go online and research those events.  I came to understand the similarities and differences between now and then. 

I read about what governments, health care services, and society in general learned from those past tragedies. I began realizing that governments around the world, and my own government in particular, were implementing the lessons learned long ago and my fears eased. That would not have happened if I'd not taken the time to sort through my feelings and put words to them. 

We're all fearing different things. Some are concerned about food supply, some about the illness itself. Some are focused on financial worries. Many are fearful of the future. Some wonder about civil unrest, justice... I won't mention all the worries because some of us will grab onto them and acquire an entire new set of worries.

Do take the time to study your own fears and as they change, find new words to describe them. Put those words to use by sharing them with trusted others. Ask questions of experts about the things you are fearing. Research reputable online sites. If you are worried about finances, find out what public assistance may be available to you and how to access that help. Share what you find out with others who have the same worries. 

If you're worried about contracting the illness, check your government public health websites. There is lots of information on how to stay safe.

If you're worried about others, share with them what you learn about what they must do to keep safe.

With the knowledge you gain, will come power and with that power will come the ability to cope with both your emotions and the situations from which they are arising.

It's a very easy second step on our way to coping with COVID19.

We'll move beyond words on my next blog and search out some activities that can calm us and help others.

Second Step is brought to you by THE TRAZ


"Great Strong Story--a wonderful read"

"I found that it was hard to put down (even for sleep)"

"I just had to finish it; I needed to know what was going to happen next..." 

No comments: